Armistice Day Stormof 1940: Acknowledgements
Jeff Boyne, NWS La Crosse, WI
The National Weather Service office in La Crosse, WI would like to sincerely thank the following for their assistance in compiling the information contained in this web site:
- All the individuals who so graciously shared their accounts.
- Boulay, P. (2009, October 27). Working with the state climatologist. Presentation at Sub Regional DAPM/OPL Conference, National Weather Service Office, Chanhassen, MN.
- Friese, M. (2008). A cook’s journey: Slow food in the heartland. North Liberty IA: Ice Cube Press
- Galloping Gertie. Retrieved from http://www.nwrain.net/~newtsuit/recoveries/narrows/gg.htm
- Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum (2009). Survivor stories. Retrieved from: http://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/stories.phtml?artid=53
- Gruntfest, E. & Lazrus, H. (2009). Weaving social science into climate and weather research & practice: A living roadmap. Retrieved from http://cimms.ou.edu/sswim/pdfs/plan.pdf
- Irvine, T. (1999, December 29). The Tacoma Narrows Bridge failure. Retrieved from http://www.vibrationdata.com/Tacoma.htm
- Interorganizational Committee on Principals and Guidelines for Social Impact. (2003, September). Principals and guidelines for social impact assessment in the USA. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal. 21(3), 231-250
- Knarr, A.J. (1941, June). The Midwest storm of November 11, 1940. Monthly Weather Review. 69 (6). 169-178.
- Lorenz, E. (1996). The evolution of dynamic meteorology. In James Rodger Fleming (Ed). Historical essays on meteorology 1919-1995. Boston MA: American Meteorological Society.
- Minnesota Climatology Working Group
- Minnesota Public Radio
- NWS Quad Cities Remembering the Armistice Day Blizzard of 1940 ( http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dvn/?n=armistice_day_blizzard )
- Oosting, J. (2008, April 6). Shipwrecks a time capsule of the Great Lakes. Retrieved from http://blog.mlive.com/michigan/2008/04 shipwrecks_a_time_capsule_of_t.html
- Schwartz, R. & Schmidlin, T. (2002, July 1). Climatology of blizzards in the conterminous United States, 1959-2000. Journal of Climate 15, 1765-1772.
- Swails, T. (2005). Superstorms: Extreme weather in the heart of the heartland. Helena MT: Farcountry Press.
- Washburn, L. (2008). The icy winds of death: The Armistice Day blizzard November 11, 1940. Iowa Outdoors. 67(5), 34-41.
- Whitnah, D. (1961). A History of the United States Weather Bureau. Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.