- If in a building, go to the basement if one is available. Get under the stairs or piece of sturdy furniture. If there is no basement, get to the most center room on the lowest level, putting as many walls as possible between you and the outside. Protect your head, neck and spine.
- Stay away from windows! Do not open your windows if a tornado is approaching, take the time to seek shelter! Avoid seeking shelter in gynasiums or large auditoriums.
- If in a mobile home, seek a storm shelter or a nearby permanent building. Have a plan! 40% of tornado deaths occur in mobile homes.
- If you are outside and cannot get inside a sturdy structure, lay down in a ditch or low lying area (beware of possible flooding).
- When driving, if a tornado is spotted in the distance, stay calm and drive away from it. However, in heavy traffic, never try to outrun a tornado. Seek shelter in a sturdy building. If no building is available, lay down in a ditch or low lying area.