1. The least active months for severe thunderstorms in Kansas are:
2. Due to the Coriolis Force, tornadoes cannot move westward in KS.
3. In Kansas, tornadoes have never occurred in November.
4. Vehicles with airbags make excellent shelters from a tornado.
5. A severe thunderstorm “watch” means that severe weather is imminent at your location.
6. A tornado warning and tornado watch mean the same.
7. Intense cloud to ground lightning strikes only occurs directly underneath a thunderstorm.
8. If a person is playing golf and a thunderstorm develops, the person will be safe if he/she
raises his/her golf club into the air acting as a lightning rod.
9. During a local youth baseball game, you notice distant lightning
flashes and hear low rumbles of the thunder. You should:
A. Head to the concession stand before it gets busy.
B. Get your umbrella ready in case it rains.
C. Bring it to the referees attention, and get in your car or a nearby building.
D. Stand under a tree to keep dry in case it rains.
10. If you notice your hair standing straight up then you may be about to be struck by lightning.
11. If you see a flash of lightning and the next clap of thunder is 5 seconds later,
how far away is the thunderstorm?
A. 15 miles
B. 10 miles
C. 5 miles
D. 1 mile
12. The number one cause of death associated with
thunderstorms in Kansas since 1950 is:
13. Six inches of fast moving water can knock you off your feet.
……………………………………….. QUIZ ANSWERS ………………………………………..
1. D (Dec-Jan), 2. B (False), 3. B (False), 4. B (False), 5. B (False),
6. B (False), 7. B (False), 8. B (False), 9. C (Attention and Shelter),
10. A (True), 11. D (1 mile), 12. A (Tornadoes), 13. A (True), 14.A (1/4 pound),
KANSAS SEVERE WEATHER AWARENESS WEEK