Significant Weather Events
Browse through articles written by staff at the NWS in Des Moines on significant weather events to strike Iowa over the past few years. Severe weather damage surveys are included in this list. Articles are sorted by date from newest to oldest.
- June 12, 2013: _Tornadoes_ A cyclic supercell spawned seven tornadoes over the course of a hour over north central Iowa, including a strong EF-3 in Belmond.
- May 19, 2013: _Tornadoes_ _Straight Line Winds_ A strong thunderstorm complex tracked across central Iowa, producing three short-lived tornadoes and significant straight-line wind damage.
- May 1-3, 2013: _Winter_ A rare May snowstorm brought over a foot of snow to portions of central Iowa. It was the strongest May snowstorm to ever hit the state.
- April 8-11, 2013: _Winter_ _Heavy rain/Flooding_ _Severe Weather_ A spring storm system brought a wide range of severe weather to Iowa.
- February 26-28, 2013: _Winter_ A multi-day snowstorm dropped over a foot of snow across east-central Iowa in late February.
- 2012 Des Moines Weather Review: _Climate_ A summary of the record setting warm and dry year that befell Des Moines and much of Iowa.
- 2012 Iowa Tornado Review: _Tornadoes_ A summary of an exceptionally quiet year for Iowa tornado activity, with only 16 tornadoes for the year and the earliest end of the Iowa tornado season on record.
- December 19-20, 2012: _Winter_ A meteorological review of the powerful Iowa blizzard that struck Iowa just before the holidays. Heavy, wet snow coated power lines and trees, which snapped as winds increased to 50 to 60 mph.
- May 1, 2012: _Straight Line Winds_ Wind event over Story County and the city of Ames.
- April 14, 2012: _Tornadoes_ The Creston tornado storm survey summary, including radar imagery and photos.
- March 2012 Warmth - Des Moines: _Climate_ Des Moines saw an unprecedented record warm March that would eventually propel 2012 into the record books as the warmest year on record for Des Moines.
- March 2012 Warmth - Waterloo: _Climate_ Facts about the unprecedented record warm March in Waterloo.
- 2011 Iowa Weather Review: _Climate_ A summary of the most significant weather events across Iowa in 2011.
- 2011 Iowa Tornado Review: _Tornadoes_ A summary of Iowa tornadoes for 2011.
- August 23. 2011: _Misc_ A heat burst occurred in the late afternoon of August 23 across west central Iowa, producing winds of up to 60 mph and 10 to 15 degree temperature rises.
- July 11, 2011: _Straight Line Winds_ A powerful, long-lasting wind storm known as a derecho plowed through east central Iowa during the early morning of July 11, producing winds of over 100mph.
- May 11, 2011: _Tornadoes_ Damage survey of two short-lived tornadoes that hit the community of Lenox within minutes of one another.
- April 9, 2011: _Tornadoes_ One of the larger tornado outbreaks in Iowa history that occurred across northwestern Iowa and produced an EF4 tornado in Pocahontas County.
- March 22, 2011: _Tornadoes_ An early season tornado outbreak across south central Iowa.
- December 11, 2010: _Winter_ A mjaor blizzard across northern Iowa.
- Summer 2010 Floods: _Heavy rain/Flooding_ Service assessment of the 2010 central Iowa floods
- July 23, 2010: _Tornadoes_ Damage survey from a pair of EF1 tornadoes in the Indianola area.
- July 22, 2010: _Tornadoes_ Damage survey for an EF1 tornado the went through the southeastern corner of the city of Pocahontas.
- June 23, 2010: _Tornadoes_ Bremer County, flooding, wind event, and brief EF1 tornado.
- June 2, 2010: _Tornadoes_ An intermittient EF2 tornado track across Ringgold County.
- Summer 2008 Floods: _Heavy rain/Flooding_ Service assessment of the 2008 flooding in central and eastern Iowa.
- May 30, 2008: _Tornadoes_ Central and south central Iowa tornado event, including a tornado that hit the town ot Attica.
- May 25, 2008: _Tornadoes_ The Parkersburg/New Hartford EF5 tornado that carved a 43 mile track across northeastern Iowa and took nine lives.
- June 22, 2007: _Tornadoes_ Two tornadoes in the Norwalk and Cumming area.
Iowa Tornado Information and Climatology
***NEW*** Interactive seasonal tornado track pages for the state of Iowa
These pages contain the tracks of all Iowa tornadoes for a given year on a Google Map interface, and allow the user to download tracks for viewing in Google Earth. Also included on each page is an end of season sumary and table containing data for each tornado.
Other End of Season Reports for Previous Years
Recent Major Iowa Tornadoes