We offer office tours as an opportunity to showcase NWS services, provide education, and provide the public an opportunity to visit their local NWS office. Do you have a group interested in an office tour? If so, please see the guidelines below:
- Large group tours of 15 people or more need to be conducted Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm. Tour groups who are larger than 25 will need to separate into smaller groups.
- Small group tours of 5 to 15 will be allowed at other times, including evenings and Saturdays, depending on staff availability.
If you are interested in scheduling a tour, please call Gail Boeff at 515-270-2614. Please provide Ms. Boeff the following information via e-mail at Gail.Boeff@noaa.gov the following information once your tour is scheduled:
- Contact name/phone number/e-mail address
- Group name and address
- Number and age of those who plan to attend
- Special needs or specific topics your group is interested in
- Tours will not be granted from March 1 through April 15 due office training for severe weather and spotter training activities.
- Minimum tour age is ten years old.
- Tours may be cancelled with little or no notice due to severe weather, or other issues.
- Everyone on the tour will be required to sign in and show a government issued I.D. such as a driver’s license. Minors will be allowed to accompany an adult with an I.D.
- There are no fees for office tours.
A limited number of in-person outreach and preparedness events are offered each year. Requests for outreach events often include: civic groups requesting a lunch speaker about severe weather safety, a school career day, a school severe weather talk, a booth at a safety fair, senior living centers, conferences and many other groups.
Outreach requests are granted using the following guidelines:
- Attendance – Higher attended presentations (50 people or more) will be given priority over events which are smaller. Groups of less than 20 people will not be considered. In this case, we recommend an office tour as an alternative.
- Time and day – Sunday outreach requests will not be granted. Requests during business hours Monday - Friday will be granted at a higher frequency than evening or Saturday events.
- Resource availability – Outreach requests are granted as office, and agency resources permit.
- Schedule well in advance – Events should be requested at least two to four months in advance. Short term requests, within a month, usually are not granted.
If you are interested in scheduling an outreach event, please contact Jeff Zogg at 515-270-2614 or email@example.com.
Spotter training and dispatcher training are considered mission critical and are scheduled through county emergency managers or other officials.
Restrictions and terms:
- Outreach events may be cancelled with little or no warning due to severe weather, or other issues.
- Only higher attended presentations will be considered between March 1st and April 15th due to the spotter training season.
- Due to travel restrictions, only higher attended presentations (above 50 people) will be considered outside of central Iowa (Boone, Story, Marshall, Dallas, Polk, Jasper, Madison, Warren and Marion counties).
- There is no fee for outreach services.