National Flood Safety Awareness Week
THURSDAY - March 19, 2009
Flood Safety Awareness Week Continues Through Friday. For today's topic…
If you live in a flood prone area, buying flood insurance is the best thing you can do to protect your home, your business, your family and your financial security.
Here are some reasons to buy flood insurance.
- Losses due to flooding are not covered under typical homeowner’s and business insurance policies. You should buy a separate policy covering floods.
- When floods destroy homes, owners are left without a place to live, but are still obligated to pay off their mortgages.
- Flood insurance protects the equity built up in a person’s property, covers damage from flooding, and helps the insured recover quickly and completely after a flood.
- You can depend on being reimbursed for flood damages even if the President does not declare a federal disaster.
- Floods occur in every part of the nation and are the most common natural disaster in the United States. There is a 26 percent chance of experiencing a flood during the life of a 30-year mortgage, compared to a 9 percent chance of fire.
- A third of all flood insurance claims paid by the National Flood Insurance Program are for policies in low-risk communities.
Now that you know the reasons for purchasing flood insurance…
- Contact your insurance agent now. There is a 30-day waiting period for new policies.
- To find an insurance agent and obtain other flood insurance information, go to FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program web site at www.floodsmart.gov
Flood Safety Awareness - National Page
Utah Flood Safety Awareness Week Publication
Monday: Opening statement
Tuesday: Terms and Definitions…What To Listen For
Wednesday: Preparedness and Safety