The first Federal Weather Station was established in Goodland in 1919 n the home of Frank Horton at 304 East 12th. A plaque honoring Mr. Horton is located in the entry way of the present office.
Severe blizzards in the early 1940's convinced the government of a need for the Weather Bureau in Northwest Kansas. The official opening of the Goodland Weather Station (pictured below) was December 14, 1943 at Renner Field with a staff of 4 (1 man and 3 women). The first official forecast appeared on December 30, 1943.
On March 22, 1966 the Weather Station moved to the new annex of the terminal building at Renner Field (pictured below).
On February 20, 1991 the station (pictured below) moved to its present location at 920 Armory Road . This office was one of the first newly designed structures created specifically for the National Weather Service. The office operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Shift duties include a continuous weather watch as well as hourly weather observations. The types of warnings issued involve tornado, severe thunderstorm, flash flood, and various wintertime warnings. On duty are a staff of 22 men and women including meteorologists and technicians.