2013 Flood Safety Awareness Week is March 18th - 22nd
--- Today’s topic is...Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service ---
AHPS provides five-day river forecasts in addition to long range probabilistic forecasts to
serve your needs and the needs of all our partners in protecting life and property from flood
and other water hazards.
Short Range River Level Forecast Long Range (90 day) Probabilistic Forecast
(Click for larger image) (Click for larger image)
AHPS provides you with better flood warnings...through increased lead times and more
accurate forecasts. By providing more specific and timely information on fast-rising floods,
Emergency Managers are better prepared to defend their communities from flood waters. It
also helps recreational water users stay out of harm's way.
AHPS enables you to get reliable answers to such questions as:
- How high will the river rise?
- When will the river crest?
- Where will it flood?
- How long will the flood last?
- How good is the forecast?
The AHPS website provides:
- Graphical river stage and forecast information
- Graphical probability outlooks
- Historical crest information
- Flood impacts for specific locations
- Location iformation, including photos
- Datum information
- and more!
Important flood websites:
NWS AHPS: http://water.weather.gov/ahps
Flood Safety Awareness: http://www.floodsafety.noaa.gov
Be a force of nature: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/com/weatherreadynation/force.html