Virtual Office Tour
Operations of the Lincoln National Weather Service
The data acquisition function is staffed by meteorologist interns, and hydrometeorological
technicians. Their primary responsibilities are as follows:
- Inflation and launch of the weather balloons at 5 AM and 5 PM CST (6 AM and 6 PM CDT), along
with tracking and quality control of the weather data being transmitted.
- Quality control and transmission of weather and river stage observations.
- Operation and quality control of NOAA Weather Radio broadcasts.
- Preparation of weather data and climate summaries.
- Operations of the Cooperative Observer network.
There are two shifts a day, centered around the balloon launches and peak data transmission
times. These shifts operate from 4 AM to noon, and from 4 PM to midnight. During times of severe
weather, these shifts are extended, or extra personnel brought in to assist.