Historical NWS pictures

history Original location of the Fort Wayne NWS office (shown by the arrow) at the corner of Calhoun and Berry downtown.  The office was located on the top floor of the building (then called the Shoaff Building), with the weather instruments on the roof.  The Allen County Courthouse is the domed building on the left.  This picture was taken April 12, 1911, as the new office was being established.  Official observations began at Fort Wayne May 20, 1911.
history Original location of the Fort Wayne NWS office (shown by the arrow) at the corner of Calhoun and Berry downtown.  The office was located on the top floor of the building (then called the Shoaff Building), with the weather instruments on the roof.  This picture was taken April 13, 1911, as the new office was being established.  Official observations began at Fort Wayne May 20, 1911.
history NWS weather instruments on the northeast corner of the roof of the (then) Shoaff Building in downtown Fort Wayne,  less than a year after the Fort Wayne office was established.  Photo probably taken in 1911 or 1912.  Official observations began at Fort Wayne May 20, 1911.
history NWS weather instruments and weather observer on the northeast corner of the roof of the (then) Shoaff Building in downtown Fort Wayne.  Photo probably taken in 1911 or 1912.  Official observations began at Fort Wayne May 20, 1911.
history Interior of the brand new Fort Wayne NWS weather office in 1911, on the top floor of the (then) Shoaff Building in downtown Fort Wayne at Calhoun and Berry.  Seated on the left is the first Official-in-Charge, W. S. Palmer, and on the right is First Assistant Herman T Collman.  Mr. Palmer died in 1915 of diphtheria.
history NWS Fort Wayne weather instruments on the roof of the Baer Field Terminal Building, March 1953.
history Baer Field Municipal Airport (now Fort Wayne International Airport) May 25, 1957.  The NWS weather office was located beneath the tower.
history Baer Field Municipal Airport (now Fort Wayne International Airport) May 27, 1957.  The NWS weather office was located beneath the tower.
history The Fort Wayne NWS office's first weather radar, a "WSR3", was installed September 16, 1957.
history Teletype machines lined up in the Fort Wayne NWS office at Baer Field, June 1967.  They were installed April 18, 1961.  Facsimile machines to receive weather maps were installed April 1, 1960.
history Main workstation at NWS Fort Wayne in July 1968.
history Lifting the dome onto the new radar tower at NWS Fort Wayne, January 8, 1976.  The radar, a "74C", was activated January 28, 1976 and became official May 12, 1976.
history Main workstation at NWS Fort Wayne, likely in the late 1970's.
history Glen Williams sitting at the Automation of Field Observations and Services (AFOS) workstation at the Fort Wayne NWS office, around 1981.
history Evan McColly, Official-in-Charge of the former Fort Wayne NWS weather office, operates the radar.  This radar was developed in 1974 and was used until replaced by Doppler radar.  It was installed at Fort Wayne in 1976.
history View of the 74C radar tower from the roof of the Baer Field Terminal Building, March 1991.
history During the major rehabilitation of the Fort Wayne airport, June 1994.  The NWS office was behind the windows and double doors, beneath the air traffic control tower.  The double doors used to lead to a rooftop, where the office's weather instruments were located.
history Lifting the dome onto the new Doppler radar tower at the site of NWS Northern Indiana, summer 1997.
history Automation of Field Observations and Services (AFOS) workstation at the Fort Wayne NWS office, just before the office closed in 1998.
history The 74C weather radar at the Fort Wayne NWS office, just before the office closed in 1998.

Select Another picture page

Tornado / Lightning, Wind, and Hail / Winter/

FloodingClouds and Sun / History / Main


USA.gov is the U.S. government's official web portal to all federal, state and local government web resources and services.