NWS Jackson, KY All-Hazards Decision Support
Web Based Weather Information for Incident Support
The National Weather Service in Jackson, KY provides 7 day weather forecasts for hourly conditions for your exact location, and updates the forecast multiple times per day. This forecast information can be displayed in several different formats to assist those providing Incident Support.
- Decision Support Forecast Display
- This experimental site will provide a location specific forecast display in 6 hour, 12 hour, 24 hour and 7 day format, along with the nearest current observation, weather story graphic, local NWS Office Facebook feed, and forecast trend graphics.
- Hourly Weather Graph
- The hourly weather forecast graph is an easy method to view the hourly conditions forecast at your location.
- Other Forecast Display Formats include...
Spot Forecasts and HYSPLIT Model Runs for Incident Support
Public Safety Officials can request an All-Hazards Incident or Non-Wild Fire Spot Forecast and HYSPLIT model run from the the National Weather Service (NWS) Jackson, KY Forecast Office. Follow the short instructions below to submit a spot forecast request or go here for more in-depth training on submitting a spot forecast.
Fill out the Spot Forecast Request Form, making sure to:
- Select “HAZMAT” under “Project Name” if applicable.
- Select one of the three Non-Wild Fire selections under “Reason for Spot Forecast Request”.
- Give latitude & longitude of the incident or HAZMAT location (decimal format).
- Give fuel or chemical type.
- Provide current weather observations in the incident area if available, i.e. temperature, dewpoint, winds, etc.
- Identify the forecast elements desired.
- Provide any additional information that might influence weather elements such as the effect of terrain on wind direction.
- IMPORTANT... if you also desire the weather forecast office to run a HYSPLIT model of your incident, please request this by typing "hysplit to email@example.com" in the "Remarks" section substituting your email address for firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the NWS Jackson, KY Office.
- When you submit a Spot Forecast request, an alert message will be sent to the forecasters at NWS Jackson, KY. The NWS Forecaster will immediately prepare the requested spot forecast and then submit the product to the national web server for the customer to review on the internet.
- To review your requested spot forecast... return to the "Spot Forecast" page and look for the name of your spot request. If review on the Internet is not possible, an email, fax or official phone call will be used to pass on the forecast information.
- To review your requested "HYSPLIT" model run... a KMZ file (viewable in Google Earth) and GIF file of the run will be sent to the email address you provided in your spot forecast request.
On-Site Incident Weather Support
In some cases, on-site weather support can be provided at EOCs and Incident Command Posts. During large and prolonged incidents, NWS Jackson, KY can dispatch an on-site meteorologist to provide critical wind, temperature, relative humidity, precipitation and dispersion forecasts. These on-site meteorologists are trained in the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and can deploy weather equipment at the incident location, download model and weather data on-site, and provide critical weather briefings to the command team.
Emergency Managers or other Public Safety Officials wishing to request on-site weather support during an incident, or just wanting to learn more about the on-site weather support program, should call the NWS Jackson, KY.