Weather in Northern Illinois and Northwest Indiana has created many fascinating events over the years. With new technologies available to the National Weather Service combined with enhanced display capabilities, it is now possible to view these events with some clarity.
Through the medium of this webpage we are attempting to document aspects of the weather which occurs over Northeast and North central Illinois along with Northwest Indiana. Note, however, some the individual case write-ups are composed on a level for the professional meteorologist or dedicated student.
We hope you enjoy the presentations. Comments or suggestions can be directed to the webmaster.
View Events in Chronological Order Instead
Tornadoes: Any severe weather event in the area that produced significant tornadoes.
Wind/Hail: Includes both straight-line winds from thunderstorms, strong and damaging winds not associated with precipitation, and significant hail events.
Heavy Rain / Flood: Any weather event marked by either substantial or record-setting rainfall or flooding.
Extreme Temperatures: Any event with much above or below average temperatures for an extended period of time.
Winter Weather: Any major winter storm, including both snow and ice storms.
Other Events: Any weather event of notoriety that does not fit into other classifications.
Studies: Analysis and review of any important meteorological or climatological event.
Science-Weather Events in Northern Illinois and Northwest Indiana
Wind / Hail
Heavy Rain / Flood
Select From A Listing In Chronological Order
- November 24, 2004 Review of Thanksgiving-eve snowstorm in Northeast IL
- July 13, 2004 Supercell with large hail, wind damage and brief tornado
- May 2004 Review of severe weather event in Northeast IL and Northwest IN
- April 20, 2004 Tornado outbreak in relatively small CAPE environment pdf file
- July 29-31, 1999 Chicago heat wave
- May 18, 1997 F2 tornado in Lindenhurst, IL
- July 13, 1995 Historic, deadly Chicago heat wave
- August 28, 1990 Historic Plainfield F5 Tornado pdf file
- April 21, 1967 Worst tornado disaster in Northeast IL pdf file
- January 26-27, 1967 Historic Chicagoland snowstorm
- April 17, 1963 Violent, Long-Tracked Tornado Struck Kankakee County and Northwest Indiana