Flood Warning Safety Messages
A flood warning has been issued for portions of southwest Lower Michigan. Here are some things you can do protect yourself and property:
1. Gather the emergency supplies you previously stocked in your home and stay tuned to local radio or television station for updates.
2. Turn off all utilities at the main power switch and close the main gas valve if evacuation appears necessary.
3. Have your immunization records handy or be aware of your last tetanus shot, in case you should receive a puncture wound or a wound becomes contaminated during or after the flood.
4. Bring outdoor possessions, such as lawn furniture, grills and trash cans inside or tie them down securely.
5. Fill your vehicle’s gas tank and make sure the emergency kit for your car is ready.
6. Tune in the radio or television for weather updates.
7. Adjust the thermostat on refrigerators and freezers to the coolest possible temperature.
8. If you are ordered to evacuate, take only essential items with you. If you have time, turn off the gas, electricity, and water. Disconnect appliances to prevent electrical shock when power is restored. Finally, remember, do not attempt to drive or walk across creeks or flooded roads.