Post Storm Survey for Louisa and Muscatine Counties
A post storm damage assessment survey team dispatched from the Quad Cities National Weather Service Office has surveyed portions of the damage caused by severe weather on the afternoon of June 1st.
A tornado developed about 1 mile south of Grandview and tracked 16 miles north-northeast through Fruitland and Muscatine.
- Damage path began 1 mile south of Grandview and continues north through Grandview.
- Estimated begin time: 1207 pm.
- Damage in Grandview is rated EF3 (wind estimated at 143 mph) and includes: 1 injury. 1/8 mile wide path including: widespread tree damage. 10 to 20 homes received major structural damage. A house was completely flattened and trees were shredded on a farm approximately 2 miles north of Grandview.
- The tornado crossed Fruitland between 1213 and 1217 pm.
- Damage in Fruitland is rated EF2 (winds estimated at 135 mph) and includes: 2 injuries. 1/4 mile wide path. Post office/City Hall demolished. 30+ homes had substantial roof damage. 5 to 10 homes received major damage with exterior walls collapsed and roofs torn off. Several rail road cars were overturned. Extensive tree and structural damage.
- The tornado crossed Muscatine between 1220 and 1226 pm.
- Damage in Muscatine is rated EF2 (estimated wind 125 to 130 mph) and includes: South side of town: 1/4 mile wide path of damage. Large power poles snapped. Trees snapped and uprooted. Cinder block factory had walls collapse and roof torn off. One railroad car was turned over. Many buildings received structural damage. On the north side of town: 100-yard wide path including DOT garage had 3 sheds destroyed with a roof torn off another shed. Other buildings received minor structural damage. A day care center lost siding and shingles. A McDonalds Restaurant had roof damage and a Toyota car dealership had damage to approximately 15 vehicles.
Pictures (click for larger image)
ENHANCED FUJITA SCALEReturn to News Archive
EF0 65-85 MPH
EF1 86-110 MPH
EF2 111-135 MPH
EF3 136-165 MPH
EF4 166-200 MPH
EF5 201+ MPH