Dangerously Hot and Humid Conditions Expected Today
Temperatures this afternoon are expected to be in the lower 90s north of Highway 30...while locations along and south of Interstate 80 will reach into the mid-to-upper 90s. These hot temperatures will combine with high humidity levels to produce heat index values between 100 and 110 degrees.
Following some simple safety tips can help prevent heat related problems during this hot spell:
- Stay out of the sun. (Sunburn makes the job of heat dissipation more difficult.)
- Spend as much time as possible in air-conditioning. If you do not have an air-conditioner, go to an air-conditioned public building, like a library.
- Slow down. (Reduce, eliminate, or reschedule physical activities for a cooler time of the day.)
- Drink plenty of water, even if you do not feel thirsty. Do not drink any alcohol, including beer.
- Dress in lightweight and light-colored clothes. This will reflect the sunlight and heat.
- Eat smaller meals and less proteins.
- Do not take salt tablets unless specified by a physician.
Return to News Archive