Dangerously Hot Conditions Expected This Weekend
The hot weather will continue through Sunday. High humidity and temperatures in the 90s will send the heat index into the 95 to 110 range again Sunday afternoon.
Following some simple safety tips can help prevent heat related problems during this hot spell:
- Stay out of the sun. (Sunburn makes the job of heat dissipation more difficult.)
- Spend as much time as possible in air-conditioning. If you do not have an air-conditioner, go to an air-conditioned public building, like a library.
- Slow down. (Reduce, eliminate, or reschedule physical activities for a cooler time of the day.)
- Drink plenty of water, even if you do not feel thirsty. Do not drink any alcohol, including beer.
- Dress in lightweight and light-colored clothes. This will reflect the sunlight and heat.
- Eat smaller meals and less proteins.
- Do not take salt tablets unless specified by a physician.
- Heat Advisory: Heat Index at/above 100ºF
- Excessive Heat Warning: Heat Index at/above 105ºF and a minimum heat index at/above 75ºF for a 48-hour period; OR 4 consecutive days of Heat Advisory criteria
Return to News Archive