Very Hot and Humid Today
Very hot and humid conditions will remain over areas south of Highway 30 today. Dangerous heat index values of at least 105° will be common. A cold front will slowly drop southward into the northern parts of the area today...reaching the I80 corridor early Thursday. It will bring some relief from excessive heat for areas to the north as well as a chance for a few thunderstorms to the region.
To guard against heat related illnesses, drink plenty of water and take frequent breaks if outside. The best place to be is in an air-conditioned building.
Here are some simple safety tips that can help prevent heat related problems during this hot spell:
- Never leave a child or pet unattended in a vehicle - not even for a minute.
- If you see a child or pet unattended in a hot vehicle, call 911 immediately!
- Stay out of the sun. If you have to be outside, wear sunscreen. (Sunburn makes the job of heat dissipation more difficult.)
- Spend as much time as possible in air-conditioning. If you do not have an air-conditioner, go to an air-conditioned public building, like a mall or library.
- Slow down. (Reduce, eliminate, or reschedule physical activities for a cooler time of the day.)
- Drink plenty of water, even if you do not feel thirsty. Do not drink any alcohol, including beer.
- Dress in lightweight and light-colored clothes. This will reflect the sunlight and heat.
- Make sure pets have plenty of water and a place to get out of the sun.
- Eat smaller meals and less proteins.
- Do not take salt tablets unless specified by a physician.
- Local Heat Advisory Criteria: Heat Index at/above 105ºF
- Local Excessive Heat Warning Criteria: Heat Index at/above 110ºF and a minimum heat index at/above 75ºF for a 48-hour period; OR 4 consecutive days of Heat Advisory criteria
Return to News Archive