Heat Advisory Today
Hot and humid weather can be expected across the area today. High temperatures will be in the 90s to near 100, and combined with the humidity, will produce heat indices of 100 to 110 degrees late this morning into early evening. Follow the safety tips below to protect yourself from the dangerous heat.
Tips from FEMA - What you can do before Extreme Heat arrives to keep your house cooler:
- Install window air conditioners snugly; insulate if necessary.
- Check air-conditioning ducts for proper insulation.
- Install temporary window reflectors (for use between windows and drapes), such as aluminum foil-covered cardboard, to reflect heat back outside.
- Weather-strip doors and sills to keep cool air in.
- Cover windows that receive morning or afternoon sun with drapes, shades, awnings, or louvers. (Outdoor awnings or louvers can reduce the heat that enters a home by up to 80 percent.)
Additional information on Heat Safety and Preparedness.
Return to News Archive