Blizzard Loosens Grip...Still Slow Going Today
Christmas is Over, and So is the Blizzard
The blizzard conditions of Christmas Day have finally let up, but today will still be a tough day to start digging out across the region. A Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect for all of south central Nebraska and north central Kansas until 6:00 P.M. today. Here is what to expect:
- Many rural or less traveled roads will remain closed or impassable much of the day
- Do not expect rapid improvement in road conditions. Winds must die down further for road crews to make significant progress.
- Northwest winds of 20 to 35 mph most of the day
- Widespread blowing and drifting snow
- Poor visibility at times, especially in open country
- Periods of light snow or flurries. Another inch of new snow accumulation is possible, especially east of U.S. Highway 281 in south central Nebraska
- Bitter cold wind chills remaining below zero through midday
The wind will diminish to less than 20 mph after sunset, but remain in the 10 to 20 mph range through tonight.
A Snapshot of Today's Weather (below)
Return to News Archive