For those who have been through the Basic Skywarn training and would like to learn more about severe storms, the National Weather Service in Grand Rapids will be presenting Advanced Skywarn training this month at Mount Pleasant and Muskegon. Here's an outline of the content of the program:
• Part 1: Assessing Storm Environment
– Analyzing atmospheric soundings
– Recognizing the primary, secondary threats
• Part 2: Interpreting Radar Data and Visual Clues of Storm Structure
– Identifying storm structure and circulations on radar
– Visual Clues of Outflow and Rotation
• Part 3: Damage Assessment
– Estimating wind speeds from damage
– Tornado or Downburst?
For information on date, times and location of the training, please check our Skywarn page.