Monday (October 8) Was The Hottest October Day on Record
Another Day of Record Breaking Heat in Indianapolis
The temperature today reached 91 degrees at Indianapolis. This mark broke several records.
- 91 degrees is the hottest temperature ever recorded during October at Indianapolis. The previous record of 90 degrees for the month was set on October 4, 1951, October 3, 1954, and yesterday, October 7th 2007.
- The daily record high temperature for today, October 8th was 89 degrees, set back in 1939. Today’s reading of 91 easily surpassed the old record.
- Today is the latest date in the fall season that 90 degrees has ever been recorded, beating the previous record of yesterday, October 7.
- This is the only time that two October days in a row have seen highs of 90 or better at Indianapolis.
- The average maximum temperature for October 1-8 is 85.1 degrees...a record besting the previous mark of 82.0 degrees in 1884.
- The average temperature for October 1-8 is 74.7 degrees...a record beating the previous mark of 74.1 degrees in 1884.
The normal high for today is 69 degrees. Temperature records for Indianapolis date back to 1871. The temperature during the first eight days of October were typical of temperatures in July.Return to News Archive