Lightning Safety and Information
So far in 2014 there have been 12 fatalities from lightning in the United States, including four deaths in just the last two weeks. Though none of the fatalities have been in Indiana or Kentucky, we felt this would be a good time to roll out some lightning safety reminders, some resources to learn more about how lightning works, and how to survive it.
Basic Safety Rules
- Be aware of the forecast before you go outside.
- If you can hear thunder, you're well within range of being struck by lightning. When thunder roars, go indoors!
- Once you're inside, avoid water, electronics, and land line phones.
- If you cannot get to a shelter, kneel down and curl yourself into as tight of a ball as possible, minimizing your height and also your contact with the ground.
- If you're in a vehicle, stay in the vehicle.
Lightning over Louisville July 27, 2012. Randy BakerReturn to News Archive