New Great Lakes Marine Web Portal
The National Weather Service Unveils A
New Web Portal For Great Lakes Marine Information
The new Great Lakes Weather web site may be found at: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/greatlakes/
This web site was created to bring together, into one location, the great abundance of marine information available for the entire Great Lakes system. From this site commercial mariners, recreational boaters and the general public are able to access:
- A Great Lakes focused selection of Graphical Forecasts derived from the National Digital Forecast Database (NDFD).
- The public is able to quickly retrieve marine observations for any location around the Great Lakes in addition to Radar and Satellite information for the region.
- Water Temperature and Water Level information is readily available for each of the Great Lakes.
- All text products issued by each of the National Weather Service offices around the Great Lakes has been organized for each lake.
- A graphical depiction of all Hazards (Warnings, Advisories, etc) in effect for the Great Lakes is scheduled to become available at the beginning of the 2008 recreational boating season.
- The public has access to special data sets including Bathymetry and Shoreline maps, Geomorphology, Tides and Currents.
- Finally, links to Safety Information, Education and Science Resources, our Partners and to all the NWS offices around the Great Lakes will be just a mouse click away.
We anticipate many additions and improvements to the Great Lakes web site as we move forward. Your feedback and input will help ensure we continue to meet your needs, either as a large lake carrier moving through large expanses of water or as a recreational boater sticking closer to shore.
Please feel free to email our Great Lakes Webmaster
or fill out an online survey
to tell us what you think of the new site, and to give us any suggestions for additions and enhancements.Return to Top News of the Day
Return to News Archive