Sep 21 Open House And Food Drive - Highlights
The National Weather Service Chicago Office located in Romeoville hosted an open house and food drive on Saturday September 21st, 2013. We would like to thank all those that took time out of their busy schedules to join us and make our open house a great success! With the amazing weather on Saturday, we were able to have around 700 visitors take part in our event as well as gather four large boxes full of non-perishable items.
Congratulations to the following winners of our drawing for the four NOAA Weather Radios and one home weather station:
We would also like to give special recognition to our partners that participated including:
- The NWS Chicago amateur radio (HAM) team
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) - Illinois Water Science Center
- Midwestern Regional Climate Center
- Lockport Twp Fire Department
- Romeoville EMA
- Will County Emergency Management Agency
- American Red Cross
- Boy Scouts
- Valparaiso University
- Northern Illinois University
- College of Dupage
Some of the highlights of the event included:
- A working model of a bubbler river gage provided by the USGS Illinois Water Science Center
- An interactive watershed model that demonstrated how changes to the watershed affect flooding along the river
- A table where your weather radio could be programmed.
- Information on the CoCoRaHS program.
- Displays of observing and recording equipment.
- Presentations and tours of our office demonstrating the tools we use to create forecasts and issue warnings.
- Video and displays explaining our radar and associated equipment.
- A tornado machine/simulator.
Here are a few images from our 2013 Open House
A very special thank you to our dedicated NWS Cooperative Observers and Snow Team observers that attended our award ceremony.
|NWS Cooperative Observers
|NWS Snow Team Observers
Return to News Archive