Below Normal Temperatures Likely Through Next 2 Weeks

Extended range forecasts indicate the cold weather is here to stay. Below average temperatures are forecast across southern Wisconsin throughout the next 2 weeks.

The temperature outlooks from the Climate Prediction Center issued Jan. 22 for the periods of Jan. 28 - Feb. 1 (6 - 10 days from now) and Jan. 30 - Feb. 5 (8 - 14 days from now) indicate a 70% chance of below average temperature, a 27% chance of near average temperature, and only a 3% chance of above average temperature across most of southern Wisconsin.


Jan. 28 - Feb. 1 Probability of Below Average Temperature Jan. 30 - Feb. 5 Probability of Below Average Temperature

Average high temperatures across southern Wisconsin during the end of January into early February range from 27-30 degrees, and average low temperatures range from 9 to 18 degrees. Temperatures in south-central Wisconsin are at the lower end of this temperature range, while locations closer to Lake Michigan are at the higher end of this range.

It's been a cold winter so far. From Dec 1 to Jan 21, Milwaukee's average temperature ranks 15th coldest since 1894, and Madison's average temperature ranks 14th coldest.




Return to News Archive is the U.S. government's official web portal to all federal, state and local government web resources and services.