The tornado season has been very quiet this year, with only six so far in the 51 counties covered by Chanhassen. If we get no more tornadoes or very few additional tornadoes, it will be the quietest in our area since 2007, and the second quietest since 1988. In 1988, there were only two tornadoes in the 51 counties covered by Chanhassen, and in 2007, there were only three tornadoes in the 51 counties.
All tornadoes in the Chanhassen area this year have been rated EF-0.
The overall total so far this year appears to be 11 in Minnesota and 15 in Wisconsin. Here is a link to the Wisconsin tornado list from August 12: www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php One more Wisconsin tornado after August 12 brings that total to 15.
The data below are still subject to change if photos, video or other evidence becomes known. The six tornadoes listed below have been verified through a combination of photos, videos and some damage surveys. In the case of August 6, a lot of video and photos were examined where the Kandiyohi County storm had become rain-wrapped and the brief tornado was shrouded from the view of most people in the area. Damage surveys were also conducted for the June 21 tornado and the August 6 Kandiyohi County tornado.
1. June 21, 3:46 a.m. Chisago County Minnesota, southeast side of Wyoming. Rated EF-0. Path length 0.5 mile. Wind speed 65 to 75 mph.
2. July 22, 4:45 p.m. Eau Claire County Wisconsin, four miles west-southwest of Augusta. Rated EF-0. Path length 0.3 mile. Wind speed 65 to 70 mph.
3. August 6, 4:00 p.m. Stevens County Minnesota, three miles northeast of Chokio. Rated EF-0. Path length 0.1 mile. Wind speed around 65 mph.
4. August 6, 4:30 p.m. Stevens County Minnesota, two miles north-northwest of Hancock. Rated EF-0. Path length 0.1 mile. Wind speed around 65 mph.
5. August 6, 5:17 p.m. Kandiyohi County Minnesota, four miles east of Sunburg. Rated EF-0. Path length 0.2 mile. Wind speed around 65 mph.
6. August 21, 5:25 p.m. Chippewa County Wisconsin, four miles northwest of Cadott. Rated EF-0. Path length 1.2 mile. Wind speed 65 to 75 mph.