PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PADUCAH KY
720 PM CDT MON MAY 11 2009
...DAMAGE SURVEY RESULTS FOR WIND DAMAGE EVENT OVER WEST CENTRAL
RIPLEY COUNTY MISSOURI...
THE FOLLOWING IS THE DAMAGE ASSESSMENT FOR THE WIND DAMAGE EVENT
THAT OCCURRED FRIDAY MAY 8TH 2009 IN RIPLEY COUNTY MISSOURI.
* EVENT DATE - FRIDAY MAY 8 2009
* EVENT TIME - APPROXIMATELY 1015 AM (ALONG THE RIPLEY/OREGON COUNTY
BORDER) UNTIL 1030 AM (DONIPHAN)
* EVENT TYPE - MACROBURST (LARGE SCALE DOWNBURST)
* EVENT LOCATION - ALONG U.S. HWY 160 OVER WESTERN AND CENTRAL
RIPLEY COUNTY MISSOURI...INCLUDING THE CITY OF DONIPHAN.
* PEAK WIND - 90 MPH
* AVERAGE PATH WIDTH - 5.5 MILES (AVERAGING ABOUT 3 MILES SOUTH OF
HWY 160 TO 2 MILES NORTH OF U.S. HWY 160)
* PATH LENGTH - 19 MILES (FROM THE OREGON/RIPLEY COUNTY BORDER EAST
* INJURIES - NONE
* FATALITIES - NONE
* DISCUSSION/DAMAGE...EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE ACROSS THE PATH IN
ADDITION TO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO THE RIPLEY COUNTY COURTHOUSE
(PARTIAL ROOF LOSS/DAMAGE) AND LOSS OF NEARLY ENTIRE ROOF STRUCTURE
OF A NEARBY COMMERCIAL BUSINESS. WINDS WERE MEASURED AT 79 MPH AT
THE DONIPHAN FIRE DEPT. AND ESTIMATED AT 90 MPH BY THE NWS SURVEY
TEAM AT THE DAMAGE SITES OF THE RIPLEY COUNTY COURTHOUSE AND NEARBY
BUSINESS. THE EVENT WAS CAUSED BY A BOW ECHO...OR BOWING LINE OF
Photo of the damaged courthouse in Doniphan. Flooding rain after the windstorm caused water damage in the courthouse.
Extensive roof damage at a downtown commercial building near the courthouse...
Flash flooding of Quick Creek in Doniphan totally submerged the vehicle in this photo and came several feet up the sides of the house and garage.