Beat the Heat...Check the Backseat!
Beat The Heat...Check the Backseat!
With the recent record heat and oppressive humidities we have been hearing about the dangers of heat exahaustion and heat stroke for those outdoors in the elements. However there is another tragic danger - hyperthermia that threatens young children during the summertime heat.
Hyperthermia occurs when the body produces or absorbs more heat than it can dissipate which leads to heat stroke. Heat stroke is an acute condition of hyperthermia that is caused by prolonged exposure to excessive heat and/or humidity. Tragically, this can occur when a child is left inside of a vehicle in the summertime heat.
- To date there have been 11 deaths in 2012 of children due to hyperthermia (heat stroke) from being in hot vehicles.
- Last year there were a total of at least 33 such fatalities in the United States due to hyperthermia after they were left in hot cars, trucks, vans and SUV's.
- Since 1998 there have been at least a total of 538 of these needless tragedies.
- This study shows that these incidents can occur on days with relatively mild (i.e., ~ 70 degrees F) temperatures and that vehicles can reach life-threatening temperatures very rapidly. Just imagine the danger when the outside air temperatures exceed 100 degrees.
The following is a web site that is useful in highlighting the tragic consequences of leaving children unattended in cars during hot spells ggweather.com/heat/index.htm
As we continue to deal with the summertime heat here in Kansas, please remember:
- CHILDREN AND PETS SHOULD NEVER BE LEFT UNATTENDED IN VEHICLES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE DURING WARM OR HOT WEATHER WHEN CAR INTERIORS CAN REACH LETHAL TEMPERATURES IN A MATTER OF MINUTES.
- CARS CAN REACH LETHAL TEMPERATURES IN A MATTER OF MINUTES…EVEN ON RELATIVELY MILD DAYS. NEVER LEAVE CHILDREN OR PETS UNATTENDED IN A VEHICLE…NOT EVEN FOR A MINUTE.
- HEAT KILLS. IN THE PAST DOZEN YEARS OVER 450 CHILDREN HAVE DIED FROM HYPERTHERMIA AFTER BEING LEFT IN OR GAINING ACCESS TO UNATTENDED CARS!
Beat The Heat...Check The Backseat!Return to Latest News