Public Information Statement
Issued by NWS Wilmington, OH

Current Version | Previous Version | Graphics & Text | Print | Product List | Glossary On
Versions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
000
NOUS41 KILN 061621
PNSILN
INZ050-058-059-066-073>075-080-KYZ089>100-OHZ026-034-035-042>046-
051>056-060>065-070>074-077>082-088-062030-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH
1221 PM EDT MON APR 6 2015

...FROST/FREEZE HEADLINE INFORMATION...

A TEMPERATURE OF 32 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN RECORDED
AS LATE AS MAY 25 IN CINCINNATI...MAY 16 AT COLUMBUS AND MAY
21 AT DAYTON.  HOWEVER...ELEMENTS SUCH AS TOPOGRAPHY...URBAN OR
RURAL SETTING AND PLACEMENT OF THE RECORDING INSTRUMENT CAN CREATE
WIDE VARIATIONS IN TEMPERATURES ACROSS AN AREA.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TEMPERATURES ARE OFFICIALLY TAKEN AT AN
ELEVATION OF FIVE FEET ABOVE THE GROUND...BUT THE TEMPERATURE AT
GROUND LEVEL MAY BE COLDER.  ON TYPICAL SPRING NIGHTS WHEN FROST
OCCURS...THE TEMPERATURES AT THE FIVE FOOT LEVEL MAY READ 36 DEGREES
WHILE AT GROUND LEVEL IT IS ACTUALLY THE 32 DEGREES NEEDED TO FORM
FROST.

THE FOLLOWING REFERENCE TABLE WILL GIVE AN IDEA AS TO WHEN THE LAST
FREEZING TEMPERATURES MIGHT OCCUR...BASED ON THE LAST 30 YEARS OF
CLIMATOLOGICAL DATA (1981 TO 2010) AT EACH OF THE LISTED LOCATIONS.


LOCATION          AVG DATE      LAST 32F IN ONE    LAST 32F IN NINE
                  LAST 32F      YEAR OUT OF TEN    YEARS OUT OF TEN
                  IN SPRING     (10% PROBABILITY)  (90% PROBABILITY)

..SOUTHWEST OHIO
CINCINNATI (KLUK)  APR 17            APR 3MAY 1
HAMILTON (KHAO)   APR 19     APR 4MAY 4
MILFORD   APR 20     APR 4MAY 4
WILMINGTON   APR 20     APR 5MAY 4


..CENTRAL OHIO
CIRCLEVILLE   APR 21     APR 6MAY 5
COLUMBUS (KCMH)   APR 16     APR 1MAY 1
DELAWARE   APR 25     APR 11MAY 9
LANCASTER   APR 19     APR 5MAY 6
LOGAN   MAY 2     APR 19MAY 18
LONDON   APR 27     APR 14MAY 9
MARYSVILLE   APR 19     APR 4MAY 4
NEWARK   APR 28     APR 16MAY 14
WASHINGTON CH   APR 18     APR 4MAY 3


..MIAMI VALLEY
BELLEFONTAINE   APR 25     APR 10MAY 11
CELINA   APR 22     APR 8MAY 6
DAYTON (KDAY)   APR 19     APR 5MAY 3
EATON   APR 22     APR 9MAY 6
GREENVILLE   APR 23     APR 9MAY 7
KENTON   APR 23     APR 9MAY 8
SPRINGFIELD   APR 25     APR 12MAY 9
XENIA   APR 17     APR 2MAY 2


..SOUTH CENTRAL OHIO
CHILLICOTHE   APR 21     APR 7MAY 6
HILLSBORO   APR 17     APR 3MAY 1
PORTSMOUTH   APR 17     APR 1MAY 4


..KENTUCKY
CARROLLTON   APR 16     MAR 31 MAY 3
COVINGTON (KCVG)   APR 16     APR 2MAY 2
FALMOUTH   APR 21     APR 5MAY 8
MAYSVILLE   APR 18     APR 4MAY 1
WARSAW   APR 23     APR 7MAY 8
WILLIAMSTON   APR 14     MAR 29 APR 30


..INDIANA
BROOKVILLE   APR 21     APR 7MAY 5
MILAN   APR 28     APR 13MAY 16
RICHMOND   APR 23     APR 9MAY 8
VEVAY   APR 15     MAR 31APR 30



FROST/FREEZE HEADLINES NORMALLY BEGIN ACROSS THE WILMINGTON, OHIO
FORECAST AREA IN A TWO TIER PROCESS BASED ON CLIMATOLOGY. THE TRI-
STATE...NORTHEAST KENTUCKY AND SOUTH CENTRAL OHIO TYPICALLY BEGINS
IN MID APRIL. THE MIAMI AND WHITEWATER VALLEYS...PORTIONS OF
CENTRAL AND WEST CENTRAL OHIO WILL BEGIN LATER IN APRIL. EXACT
START DATES WILL BE DETERMINED BASED ON VEGETATION STATUS AND
EXPECTED WEATHER CONDITIONS. PLEASE VISIT OUR WEB SITE AT
WWW.ERH.NOAA.GOV/ILN/SPRINGFRZMAP.HTM FOR A GRAPHICAL PRESENTATION
OF WHEN FROST/FREEZE HEADLINES WILL BEGIN FOR YOUR COUNTY.


$$











USA.gov is the U.S. government's official web portal to all federal, state and local government web resources and services.