History of NWS Pueblo, Colorado


June 27, 1888 The first office, in the Thatcher and Gast building at 417 1/2 Santa Fe Avenue, was occupied for about one year. All weather instruments were 60 to 68 feet above street level.

July 1, 1889 The office moved into new facilities at 5th and Summit Streets, 600 feet north-northeast of the previous location. The thermometers were 23 feet above ground, the wind instruments 51 feet above ground, and the rain gage 13 feet above ground.

March 1, 1891 The office moved to the Swift Block at 6th and Main Streets, 800 feet west-southwest of the previous location. The thermometers were 74 feet above ground, the wind instruments 81 feet above ground, and the rain gage 65 feet above ground.

September 1, 1898 The office moved into the new Post Office building at 5th and Main Streets, 400 feet south of the previous location. The thermometers were 78 feet above ground, the wind instruments 86 feet above ground, and the rain gages 71 to 72 feet above ground.

February 1, 1932 An office opened at the Pueblo Municipal Airport, 3 1/2 miles southwest of the city office, which continued to operate. At the airport office, the thermometers were 5 feet above ground, the wind instruments 36 feet above ground, and the rain gage 5 feet above ground.

July 1, 1940 The city office closed, and operations were combined into one office at the Pueblo Municipal Airport.

June 1, 1954 The official weather observation site for Pueblo and the office moved to the Pueblo Memorial Airport (in Building T-134), 10 miles east-northeast of the previous location and 6 miles east of the old office at the downtown Post Office Building. The new airport was formerly an Army Air Base, used to train bomber pilots during WW II. The thermometers were about 5 feet above ground, the wind instruments 22 to 34 feet above ground, and the rain gages 3 to 5 feet above ground. On September 30, 1969 the office moved to the Terminal Building of Pueblo Memorial Airport, 350 feet north-northwest of the previous location.

October 1, 1992 ASOS is commissioned as the official observation platform for Pueblo in the midst of the airport runway complex.

September 20, 1994 With NWS modernization in full swing, NWSO Pueblo moved into its new building at the Pueblo Memorial Airport Industrial Park.

December 9, 1994 The Doppler Radar is installed approximately 18 miles northeast of the weather office in a remote part of northeast Pueblo county 5313 feet MSL. This site offers the best location for radar coverage of the southern Colorado area. On June 1, 1995, the NWSO Pueblo County Warning and Forecast area expanded to include 20 counties in southeast and south central Colorado. Responsibilities and services of the Weather Service Offices in Alamosa, Colorado Springs, and Denver continued to be transferred to NWSO Pueblo through 1999.

 


In Colorado Springs, weather records date back to 1873 when the Army Signal Corp. established offices in both Colorado Springs and on top of Pikes Peak. An ASOS system now records data at the Colorado Springs Municipal Airport. In Alamosa, weather records date back to 1891. An ASOS system now records data at Bergman Field, on the south side of Alamosa.

USA.gov is the U.S. government's official web portal to all federal, state and local government web resources and services.